Saturday, March 18, 2006

1000 Miles

I hit 1000 miles for the year on my ride today. I just kind of meandered around town. Nothing interesting happened until I got down to the waterfront. The crowds and cars were thick under the Viaduct (HWY 99). I figured it must by a game or something as there were a lot of kids in the cars. Then I started noticing a lot of punk rockers and skinhead looking people around. Curious. I turned up Main into Pioneer Square. First I noticed the construction at Occidental Square, then I noticed the battalion of cops and the large groups of punk rockers and skinhead looking people. I rode over to some bike cops intent on getting some info. They had a kid cuffed. He was asking if his was a felony arrest. The answer was "Yes". I didn't hear what he was arrested for.

I asked the nearest cop what was going on. He said it was a combined crowd of St. Patrick's Day Parade attendees and war protesters. Oh yeah, today is the 3 year anniversary of President Smirking Monkey's invasion. I wish I'd been paying attention. I would have participated. I rode off as things seemed a bit tense. Cyclists in lycra are not ready for protest action. The rest of the ride was routine but, I had a nice ride. Routine or not.

It felt like Spring out. I'm more than ready for some warmer weather. Even with the incredibly lousy weather we had in February, I'm 70 miles ahead of the same day last year. WooHoo! Karla was not as excited by that news as I was. She mentioned how I said I wouldn't be riding as many miles this year as I did last year. Damn! That'll learn me to keep my mouth shut!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Geez...1000 miles already? I don't even have 200 yet. Of course I haven't been very good about commuting by bike either.

I did ride this morning but it's hard to get excited about a ride that involves navigating frozen ruts of ice.