Friday, March 10, 2006

South Wind, Black Sky

South Wind, Clear Sky (Red Fuji) by Katsushika Hokusai

I had two rides in one today. I rolled out around 12:30 or so. A pretty morning and early afternoon. The sun was shining, a few clouds, it felt like Spring. I took a meandering route to the shop. On Interlaken , I met a guy named John riding a nice looking Rivendell Atlantis. We talked for 10 minutes or so and I was off again. I'm always surprised when I meet another Rivendell rider I don't know or have never heard of. I just assume they all know about the online Rivendell community. He does now.

Behind Husky Stadium I encountered a guy carrying a turtle. He said it was crawling across the dirt parking lot we were on the edge of. He carried it to the edge of the water and set it down. Another wild animal saved from being road kill. Hooray!

I arrived at the shop around 1:30, where I found my check waiting. A pleasant surprise. They're usually later than that. I headed north on the trail, aiming for the Washington Mutual at Lake Forest Park Center, about 8 miles from the shop. Still sunny, people smiling when you passed. Nice. I got to the bank and deposited my king's ransom of a paycheck and turned around to head home.
Surprise! The sky to the south was black with swirling clouds. The kind that have more than rain in them. The temperature dropped and I got snowed and hailed on. No big deal. I was dressed right and it was a novelty I don't get to ride in very often. There wasn't enough to change the surface conditions so it was just kind of fun. I totaled 40 miles for the day and had a good time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what am I doing here?
why?
and who invited all these sheep to participate in democracy?