Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Seattle loves bikes

This morning started off like many. Cars acting like bikes didn't belong or were non-existent. Even with gas prices creeping back up, they drive like there's no tomorrow. Last week was kind of nice. UW was on spring break. I guess the public schools were too. One morning I rode to work in what was almost a ghost town. And this was on a weekday! It was pretty strange.

So, anyway, today was the usual dicing with cars. Careless or malicious, who knows? As I roll up to the shop, I notice road work going on where the Burke-Gilman Trail crosses Blakeley. They were installing trail crossing signs and painting the curbs around the island in the street a nice fluorescent yellow.
Wow! Non-car oriented transportation dollars being spent! It was like a beautiful dream. I've been calling the appropriate city agencies about all the near misses and bad behavior I've witnessed over the past year and a half. And now, something is done about it. Government in action, I guess it really happens. I would like to give a big Riding and Ranting thank you to Carol Wittig of Seattle DOT for coming out and listening to my concerns. She was very helpful and seemed to really care about what I was talking about. It remains to be seen if any of these changes help with the problems but it's a start.

1 comment:

Alicia said...

ask Carol if she wants a job here in Ann Arbor, MI. Seems the students are twice as bad as the townies and no one is as bad as the Ann Arbor Transportation Authority buses!!

Rant on and I'm glad you seem to have won this battle - good luck with the war!!