Saturday, May 13, 2006

A New Kind of Cyclist

Over the past few years, I've noticed the increasing numbers of fixie riding hipsters all over town. This sub-group is mostly an outgrowth of messengers riding fixies on the job. Now, we all know that messengers are the epitome of urban cool. Or think they are anyway.

I know a lot of people that ride and appreciate the simplicity and the soulfulness of riding fixed (KP). I'm not one of them. I have a single speed I get those things from. My knees like to coast once in a while.

That's not what I'm writing about today, however. Today's rant is about the hipsters. They all strive to be so unique. They do this by wearing black cycling caps, Cinelli seems to be highly prized. Or black Army looking flat top caps. They also like to wear jeans (?!) rolled up on the drive side. Trucker wallets, Chrome messenger bags, aviator glasses. Yes, very different from each other.

These things don't bug me too much. What's been bugging me is the very poor etiquette they show on the road. I was riding on a narrow sidewalk yesterday, which is legal here. And was passed by a fixie rider without a word of warning of any sort. You sometimes can do this on the bike path but, on the sidewalk that's just selfish arrogance. I've seen other examples of this lack of manners. No lights at night, passing in the rain with no fenders, that sort of thing. It's funny they don't bother with things like lights and fenders.

I know they don't want to clutter up the clean lines of their bikes with a bunch of old man looking stuff. I think it's funny that they are sacrificing function for fashion. I also think it allows me to call them stupid. After being passed yesterday on the sidewalk I thought "What a dick." I then thought of a new descriptive phrase for this category of rider. FIXIE DICK. Now, they aren't all like this. But there are enough of them around here to fully populate their new domain. When you're out riding today, keep an eye out for them. I'll bet there's a fixie dick somewhere in your neighborhood.

2 comments:

Hjalti said...

I'm probably the farthest thing from the hipsters, being a fat middle aged guy with brakes and fenders on two out of three fixies, but I do roll up my drive side pantleg when I'm out on my lunch hour rides. I prefer my red Gaansari cap too. But I AM going to have to make up a FIXIE DICK sticker.

Anonymous said...

On my commute I often have the pleasure of riding with QBP/Surly employees on their way to work. Invariably they are dressed very urban hip, ride cool and varied bikes and are really polite, talkative and complementary of my Quickbeam.

Your urban hipsters could learn a thing or two from these people.

I'm thinking of quitting the corporate whore gig and applying for a job at QBP/Surly.