Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Reader Feedback Day



Man, I post a few gripes and I get a slew of emails telling me to knock it off. Remember, the name of this blog is "Riding AND Ranting". And, I take that seriously. Hardly anyone comments when I post happy rainbows and unicorns type stuff. Let's address this. There really are Fixie Dicks. There are plenty of cool people that are just out there riding but, there are also plenty of people that seem to consider this a punk fashion kind of thing. And bring that attitude with them. I don't like it. And I don't like being viewed as a less than serious rider because I don't "Keep it real" like the Fixie Dick seems to. I do everything I possibly can by bike. Commute, do errands, play. And have done so for years. So I don't have a lot of patience or appreciation for the assumptions of Johnny-Come-Lately hipsters. Fixie dick ranting is now concluded.

Regarding the guy in the full racer kit, what can I say? He looked like an escapee from clown prison. It's like Little Leaguers wearing their uniforms to an MLB game. Only, the Little Leaguers are cute. Adult fanboys are always a little disturbing. Like face painters at a football or hockey game. Certainly, the cyclist isn't as loudly fanatic, unless you're on the slopes of L'Alpe d'Huez sometime in July. It has been mentioned that this may have been a gift. That is indeed a tricky situation and I'm glad I'm not in it. And I considered that very point when I first saw this guy. Still, it was funny. It can't be undone. Don't you do it either, dear reader.

Here is a new rant. Bike shops are often put in the position of meeting place for a ride. That's great, we do a lot of business as a result. Just don't take up a prime parking spot in our limited parking area for four hours. It's like they don't want us to do well. Please keep this in mind when planning your next rendezvous.

Well, buckaroos and buckarettes, that does it for today's spleen venting. I'm glad to have received your comments. Touching a nerve is harder than you think.

Happy Trails!

No comments: