Monday, April 03, 2006

The AAAA



I wish there was such a thing as the AAAA. I guess there is in a grass roots sort of way. We have two cars. Both high mileage, worn out and ready to expire at an inconvienient time. I resent like hell the fact we'll need to get another one soon. We do like to travel, however. There really isn't any other way to cover the distances as quickly. Hybrids seem like a good idea. The only ones big enough are damned expensive. $40K easily. The new stuff is far more fuel efficient and give off fewer noxious emissions. What if all new cars being built were powered by bio-diesel/electric hybrids? No more gas engines. Would that help slow global warming? Ease our guilt?

I drive rarely. My skills are diminished. It's kind of funny. I used to be quite proud of how well I thought I drove. I suck at backing up now. I'm okay at going forward.

Riding home tonight there were some really awful looking clouds in the sky. The kind you expect to see funnels dropping out of, or maybe baseball sized hail. I was riding my single speed, no fenders. I spun it up and motored for home. I beat the rain by about 5 minutes. If I'd been in a car, I would have been concerned in a more detached way. Riding in bad weather makes it more personal. Your relationship with the natural world, that is.

And tomorrow is another day. Live life. It's what you're here for.

No comments: